Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Joists

My framer was concerned about the fact that all of my 2 x 10 joists will be exposed in the finished house. He said I'd see some irregularity, some warping; then he half-joked that this is what sheet rock is for, to cover up these imperfections. I said I'd rather see irregularities in natural golden pine than to cover it up with boards of chalk and paper.

Besides, everything looks pretty straight to me.



I think the framers are getting the hang of the rhythmic nature of this house: every joist is lined up with a stud. And I only told them once.

Growing up I watched a lot of houses get built in my neighborhood. I always liked to see the construction just after framing was done - all those neat rows of natural wood. If I walked a site I enjoyed the smell of the fresh-cut pine too. I remember being a bit sad when all that got covered up with vinyl, sheet rock, and asphalt. When I'd see a house in the framing stage I'd think to myself, "This is the best this house will ever be."

The skylights over the bedrooms are framed.



Seeing the way the sun comes through these joists made me a little sad that I have to put a solid roof over them at all. Maybe I'll get that figured out for my next house.



I like the variety of natural materials on site now. First you encounter a wall of stone, then brick columns and brick walls, then zinc-coated steel, then rows and rows of pine. The colors are blue-grey, red, silver, and gold - all without the use of paint. And it smells great.

No comments:

Post a Comment